God’s Purposes in Evil
Today’s reading: Esther 9:18-Job 3:26
My selection: Job 1:12
And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your hand. Only against him do not stretch out your hand.” So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.
My reflections: The case of Job demonstrates a number of important truths about God, man and Satan.
1. God knows those who trust in Him. God knew Job by name.
2. God is glorified in those who trust Him. For God, Job was an example to be held up to Satan of a man who walked with Him.
3.. Satan seeks to diminish God’s glory by questioning the true motivation of believers.
4. God has power and authority to send undeserved testing into the life of the believer for His own secret purposes. The suffering Christian may ask “why?” but, ultimately, God has no obligation to give all the desired answers. This should end the claims of the “health and wealth gospel.”
5. Satan is limited by God in testing His people. No ill can befall the believer apart from God’s permission.
6. For the mature believer, even the severest test of Satan cannot thwart his trust in God.
My challenge: Are you facing severe testing? Get comfort and encouragement from Job knowing that, like him, if you trust in the Lord, He knows you and has a purpose to bring glory to Himself through your trials. That will also result in your glory when the end of this world comes.
Tomorrow’s reading: Job 4:1-7:21